Monday, January 12, 2009

32wks

Two posts in one day!

I'm in the process of trying to organize all the paperwork necessary for my maternity leave as well as what is required to get the kids registered as US and Canadian citizens and to get them those passports after the birth. It is a complicated process. there should be no actual problems, but it's a good thing I am trying to deal with this in advance. It can take a horribly long time to get an appointment with the US Consulate to register the births and in order to validate their claim for US citizenship I must prove I was in the US for at least two years after the age of 14. It's not that difficult to prove but I do need to get an official transcript from my college to do so and that could take a couple of weeks. There are other such minor details that need to be handled that I really lack the energy for but best to get it all done before the birth, for afterwards I will have even less energy I know.

At least getting them registered with the Israeli government won't be as big of a hassle, other than the horrendously long lines at the Ministry of the Interior. But I am dreading dealing with the National Insurance Institute again...but at least those evil bastards will be paying my hospital fees, maternity leave, and be giving me a decent-sized chuck of cash just for giving birth.

1 comment:

Pesky Settler said...

I know the site says people living in Jerusalem and the West Bank need to go to the Jerusalem Embassy and I noticed there's a much longer waiting time to get an appointment (BTW, they do NOT allow carriages so I recommend you each wear a baby) but when we went to register Nati, we went to Tel Aviv and no one said anything... and the waiting time to get an appointment is much less.

Also, they recently changed the rules so you can get a ROBA, passport AND a SS# all at the same time. When Nati was born, you had to take the ROBA with you to get a SS#...