Sunday, January 18, 2009

32wks, 6days

Today was an exciting day. We had a doctor's appointment (to follow up on some tests we've been doing lately to keep an eye on the aforementioned slight problems with one of the babies...as before, I do not care to go into any further detail so please don't ask). During the regular pre-appointment check-up with the nurses, my blood pressure (which is usually, and has been throughout the pregnancy, absolutely perfect) was quite high. I thought it was just nerves since I wanted to talk with the doctor about the test results, so I offered to come back after the doctor's appointment for a re-check. After the doctor, I had to get a blood test and only then remembered to pop back in, and my blood pressure was still high. The nurse sent me back to the doctor, who decided to send me to the hospital to make sure it had nothing to do with the babies.

Of course, the moment I got to the hospital and they checked my blood pressure, it was 120/78. They ran a fetal heart monitor on both babies for an hour and it was fine. They sent me for an ultrasound and it showed nothing new, other than they had both grown since the last ultrasound on Thursday and were both still head down (thank God!). They checked my urine and blood (for which they put in an IV needle in the back of my hand in case I had to be admitted (damn those hurt!!), both of which came back fine. They checked my blood pressure a couple of more times throughout the day and it stayed perfect.

In the end, they decided to release me but want me to be closely monitored. Regular ultrasounds, fetal heart monitoring, blood pressure checks, and doctors appointments...all in all, not that different from what I've been doing so far.

It was exhausting, but thank God nothing was actually really wrong. Shawn and I got to spend the day together (his pleasant observation), I got out of work for the day, we got to see and hear the kids plenty, and I got to meet some of the staff at the hospital where I'm registered to give birth and they are all really, really nice!

It did make me decide to get my hospital bag ready, though. The pharmacy sold small bottles of shampoo, conditioner, and soap that was cheaper than buying their empty containers and filling it with my own soaps. I picked up a new pair of crocs on sale to have as hospital slippers since I have no other slippers, especially any that can just as easily function as regular shoes (and since I wore my last pair of crocs down, literally, till I wore a hole through the sole, I figured it was a justifiable expense). I'm going to collect a few other things too since really, the birth is not that far away...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

!) Glad that you and the little parasites are ok :) I freaked a little when I started to read the blog but calmed down by the time I finished reading :)

2) Drink as much water as you can, it helped me when my blood pressure was going up and down in the last few weeks of preggoness. It probably is just nerves but still...

3) make sure you upload to your ipod any music you want to listen to during labor.. Michael Buble is wonderful and so is Josh Groban :) tho I had to rely on Usher and my cousin to sing to me (I went in to labor on Shabbat!)

Yaffa said...

1) Thanks! Of course I'm fine, Shawn or I would have called you if anything happened that was freak-worthy.

2) As is I drink 3-4 liters a day. Dehydration is definitely not a problem. I think I was just nervous because the doctor was not my regular one to anything soothing he had to say to me didn't really seem very calming since I don't know and trust him as much as my regular doctor. Plus I was running around a lot and hadn't slept enough the night before. Hopefully my blood pressure will stay normal from now on. Shawn picked up a machine from Yad Sara so I'll be monitoring it daily from home.

3) Shawn had the brilliant idea to bring my laptop. We won't leave it in the hospital after the birth since it wouldn't be safe but we'll keep it around during labor. It has all my music on it plus this way we can watch movies during labor