Monday, February 9, 2009

36wks

What an exciting weekend.

Thursday night I came down with a cold. Fine, I thought. I canceled my Friday morning plans, slept in, and hoped it would pass. Instead it got worse and my Friday night I had quite a fever. So for the first time this pregnancy I took tylenol, which brought it down though I had a miserable night. The next night, fever-free, the coughing began. I barely slept. But I had an OB appointment Sunday morning so I got up to go to that.

The OB (who was sick himself, poor guy) thought it'd be best for me to go to the hospital. Not because of the cold, but since I was already so close to term (term with twins is much earlier than with a singleton) and there's a size difference between the two babies. He wanted them to check me out and decide whether to either induce labor immediately, or to keep me for observation to make sure there's no signs of fetal distress.

At the hospital most everything checked out just fine. There is the size difference, but otherwise the heart rates, amniotic fluid levels, etc. all looked good. They decided I should go home, come back on Wednesday for repeat testing, and if all still looked fine to wait till I was at 37 weeks then go in to be induced, if I don't go into labor sooner.

So I'm home. I called work to tell them I won't be back, not that I could work with this cold anyways (the coughing has been so aggressive I've lost my voice entirely and I can barely sleep). If I don't go into labor within the week then next Monday will be the twins' birthdays!

For those of you local, on Monday please don't call us - we'll call you. I want Shawn focused on me during labor, not busy with a ringing phone. Since they're still small and there are chances of complications, we will start making calls when we are ready, so just sit tight and be patient please.

See, dad? I promised you February babies :)

Next thing you know Shawn is going to complain about being the only September birthday boy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not to be a damper on anything...you should just be aware that a planned induction gets delayed A LOT. As long as they have you in a bed and keep yours and the fetuses vitals monitored, your induction can get delayed even up to a few days. It's better to expect it, then be in a hospital bed very frustrated for a few days at a time.
At your own discretion, let us know what we can do to help you. Whether it's bring changes of clothes for Shawn, or a nice home cooked meal. Feel free to call at any hour- I mean it.
Happy Baby Birthing!

Pesky Settler said...

This is so exciting!

sproutsimma said...

Feel better sweets.. I will call you tomorrow around noon time..

I am soo excited!! I am busy crocheting away!