Sunday, October 12, 2008

18wks, 6days

It's looking like we might change doctors. No, nothing is wrong, really. We just don't feel like we're getting adequate care. My current doctor was not someone I necessarily chose, just the guy who happened to be available and was recommended for a high risk pregnancy when I tried to book an OB appointment through my health plan. He seemed to be doing a fine job and I had no complaints.

But there were little things. He failed to notice, during the first two appointments, that I was carrying twins (the whole reason I needed someone familiar with high-risk pregnancies). Indeed at just about every appointment I have to remind him. Plus till now I've expressed a lot of concern over my calcium and iron levels, since I'm a vegetarian (which I reiterate every time I ask). He finally gave me a blood test last time to check my hemoglobin and sure enough, it came out a bit low. Again though he seemed unworried. I checked my records and found out that in about five weeks I'm scheduled for another hemoglobin test and iron supplements if necessary and asked him again, should I possibly start sooner since I don't eat meat. At that he raised his head and looked at me (for the first time all session) and seemed surprised. I reminded him that I'm a vegetarian and he decided that yes, I should be on iron supplements (it's a good thing calcium supplements are easy enough to get through Tums and I've been taking it for a while, not relying on him to remember that I'm allergic to dairy and eat less than most people. I've also been taking flax seed oil for a while now).

Now Shawn and I are thinking it's time to get a little more involved and start searching for a doctor we feel more comfortable with. It's not that I distrust this guy, or think he will cause us any risk. In fact I like the fact that he is laid back and refuses to discuss possible problems without a test proving some sort of risk first. So far all tests have, thank God, been good. But when asking him how we will proceed further down the line, since I will be having fewer tests as the pregnancy progresses but no major increase in doctor sessions, he said there's no need for either if there are no problems. But I was very confused since I have a hard time understanding how we would detect any problems, if God forbid there were any, if I weren't having regular tests or doctors appointments. He sorta snapped back at me that, "we can't do an ultrasound every day!" Obviously that was not what I was talking about, but still, there needs to be some degree of observation. What if I needed to go on bed rest? A few days, and certainly a few weeks, can mean all the difference between a healthy, full-term birth and a premature one. With no tests and no doctors appointments how am I to know if bed rest is something I God forbid need to do?

So we're looking into other options.

Oh, but test results from last blood test and ultrasound meet the doctor's approval. Next ultrasound is in three and a half weeks, next doctors appointment (unless we switch first) is a few days after that.

1 comment:

Shoshana said...

In general in Israel, you will not get individualized care. It is something that I found out whenever I speak to anyone who was pregnant here. However, you're carrying twins, and there does need to be more monitoring and less forgetfullness. My OBGYN is one of the most popular in Jerusalem. She's with 3 kuppot and also works at Bikur Cholim some times. Yet, she remembers me. She remembers my file and all my tests and is on top of it all. When I call her up on the phone, I just need to say my name and she knows everything.

You should ask around for a good high-risk doctor and go by recommendations.
When my pregnancy turned high risk, they had me come into the nurses station weekly to get weighed, and have my blood pressure taken. A nurse would ask me many different questions to make sure everything was on track and if necessary get me in to see a doctor or get tested. They'll probably do something like that for you. It was a nurse that put me on bedrest.