Sunday, November 20, 2011

New kitchen, part 2 (the story)

I've wanted to get a play kitchen for the girls for a very long time. But they're expensive and cost precious space in a small apartment. So, me being the creative person that I am, I decided to make one, instead of buying one, and to save space I decided to take a piece of furniture we already had (a tv stand) but didn't need (since we have no tv), so I wouldn't be addiing anything extra to our space.

I looked online for ideas and inspirations, and to Ikea and the hardware store for everything else. I decided to paint it blue since a: that way Shawn wouldn't object since he has an issue with the girls having too many "girlie" things and b: that was the color of my own childhood kitchen. Thanks to a friend's borrowed jig saw, my father's borrowed sander, and my own cordless drill, I was able to do the construction aspect fairly easily. The problem is I started on that then got carried away with other projects and this one was left on the porch for a couple of months, until the rainy season began and I realized I had better get crackin. So I finished the construction (which consisted of removing the upper shelf, cutting it down and turning it into an internal shelf, reinforcing the base and the various brackets, and creating the oven door by filling in the door handle hole, making new holes, cutting the square for the window and affixing the plexiglass plate, a cutting holes for the sink and faucet), put on a base coat then three cans worth of blue spray paint, plus some black for the burners. I then attached the faucet, sink, burner knobs, and doors, and finally, today, added the toys I've been hiding in the back room.

After I pick the girls up from gan today I'll bring them home and show them their brand new toy. Yes, I'll take pictures and videos. I'm so excited!!

No comments: