Wednesday, December 24, 2008

29wks, 2days

I went baby shopping (not that the closet will match any of the baby furniture that I chose, but whatever)! Well, price-shopping, at least. I haven't yet actually bought anything. I had to get a complete lesson on cribs, dressers, mattresses, car seats, etc. Me being the savvy shopper that I am I made the guy helping me, the manager, and the owner completely nuts. But I wasn't about to leave before I found a deal that worked for me. Getting everything I need for two babies is hard enough, working out the prices is a different story altogether.

Basically, they have these packages that are pretty good deals, but they include some things don't need and don't include other things I do need (a typical package includes a crib, a dresser/changing table, a single stroller, a baby bath, mattress, sheets, plus various odds and ends like baby shampoo, a digital thermometer, a room thermometer, burp cloths, etc.). So I needed to find a package that included the cheapest cribs available (obviously meeting safety standards), a changing table low enough to make changing a diaper comfortable for short lil me but not too uncomfortable for my taller husband, with a dresser large enough to store diapers and clothes for two babies. I certainly didn't need the stroller since I've already chosen the double stroller I want (which they sell there too).

So I negotiated the price for the same deal, without the stroller, with a second crib and mattress instead. Of course it comes out to a bit more, but getting a double deal wouldn't be worthwhile since we don't need two of much of the little things included, and we certainly don't need two dressers. It leaves plenty of small things friends might want to buy us, like extra sheets, swaddling blankets, burp cloths, etc. It leaves other bigger things, like the car seats, a double nursing pillow, baby swing, bouncer, pack 'n plays, floor mats, and eventual purchases like high chairs for us/someone else to buy later. But we don't need most of those things at first. Meanwhile it can take 30 business days to get the nursery stuff set up and they generally recommend purchasing it all 1 1/2 months before the birth. I don't know how these things work with the whole custom of not stocking up on baby stuff early, but we will need some things, at least a crib, before they arrive.

Anyhow, I now have a much better understanding of these things. That doesn't make it any easier to spend such obscene amounts of money on it, but the good news is most of these things are a one-time purchase. Plus, we can sell the extra stuff further down the line. But what we have to spend money on, I want it to last. That's why we chose the stroller we did, since it'll last for five years or so. The cribs, which convert into toddler beds, will last a good long time as well.

Right now Shawn and a friend are getting the apartment painted. Within the next couple of weeks I hope we can do the nursery. The closet I ordered (for storage, not baby stuff) is due to be delivered within the next month and then I guess the baby furniture we'll aim for being delivered some time in early February-ish?

I'm getting a little freaked out about money, considering how much this is all going to cost us. But we have been planning and saving for it so it's not unexpected. Meanwhile reality hit my mother as she was wandering the baby store with me. Yup, ready or not, two kids are on their way!!

No comments: