Sunday, May 24, 2009

13wks, 5days

My babies are three months old! In honor of this momentous occasion, there are going to be a lot of picture posts tonight (hopefully this will shut Bubby and Zaide up for a bit...just kidding!)

Three months has, so far, not been as significant of a milestone as we were told it would be. We found two months to be a major milestone instead. That's when Eliana started, upon occasion, to sleep through the night and when we finally began sleeping more than five hours a night ourselves (which we had considered, the first two months, to be a relatively excellent night's sleep). It's still far from easy but at least we now feel we know what we're doing. It also became much easier once they started smiling. Knowing they're happy means the world to us. It helps us know we're doing something right.

Each girl has her own personality. Eliana is our wonder baby. She smiles a ton, and when she's not it's not that hard to get her to give a huge gummy grin. But she's also really sensitive and most nights has a little fussy spell that is her sign that it's time for me to turn off the lights, scoop her up, and sing her own special song (each girl has their own song which really seems to calm and sooth them).

Bracha is our little explorer. She loves to be held and cries to be picked up but once she is she perks right up and looks around not unlike a groundhog peeking out of its hole. These days she does agree to be put down more often, especially under the mobile in her crib. I swear she has conversations, ala Look Who's Talking, with those four colorful bear clowns.

Let's see, as for other updates (since I assume you want to hear about the babies, not just see them):

We joined the Materna (the formula they eat) Multiples Club and can buy powdered formula in bulk, at a 20% discount, delivered strait to our door, so on Friday two huge boxes containing well over a month's supply arrived at our apartment.

Eliana wears cloth diapers at home (Bracha, who is only now about the size of an average newborn, was swimming in them so we decided to hold off till she gets a little more meat on her bones so the diapers fit better). We can't be bothered to schlep wet or soiled diapers around when out so we use disposable when we leave the apartment. We may not be perfect at being eco-friendly but at least we're reducing our carbon footprint. On that note I hope to get a sewing machine in the not too distant future and plan on making some reusable changing pads in place of the disposable which we use at my parents', in the diaper bag, and at home on top of their changing table to help quickly clean up messes. I'd also like more carriers (we have a Cozy Wrap, a Baby K'Tan, and an Ergo already) since Shawn and I spend a ton of time wearing the girls, so I hope to sew some of my own. I'd really like to try a Mei Tai so I'll definitely make one of those.

Both girls are growing a ton. Bracha is more than double her birth weight and Eliana is only several hundred grams away from doubling hers. Bracha still wears the newborn clothes but now they actually fit her...some are even getting tight! Eliana is into the 3-month stuff and has an adorable wardrobe, especially with the summer weather now upon us.

Okay, I'm going to end this word-y post and star a new one full of pics to enjoy!

1 comment:

Pesky Settler said...

Tomorrow I'll be going to the fabric stores on King George - I want to buy different fabric for a wrap (probably a cotton gauze weight). I can show you the fabric I bought to make my Mei Tai.

This is the pattern I used for my Mei Tai: http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/bbo.html and I used folded over polar fleece as padding for the shoulder straps.